Education in Emergency Specialist
Title: Education in Emergency Specialist - Somalia/Somaliland Country Office
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Role Purpose: The EiE specialist will be expected to lead on sectoral assessment, programme design and master-budgeting, coordination (including the Cluster), and support fundraising, recruitment and procurement liaising and linking with other sectors as appropriate. The post-holder will be expected to mentor and/or capacity build existing education staff specifically engaged in humanitarian programme and the EIE working groups.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
- Education to MSc/MA/MEng level in a relevant subject or equivalent field experience.
- Significant management experience of five plus years working in an emergency response contexts or fragile states
- Previous first phase emergency response experience is essential
- Demonstrated experience in leading assessment activities and of designing, managing, monitoring and evaluating education programmes in emergencies for international NGOs.
- Experience of applying relevant interagency humanitarian frameworks and standards in education in emergencies (for example INEE Minimum Standards)
- Previous experience of managing a team
- Previous experience of project management
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Demonstrated monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to work both as TS and a hands on implementation capacity
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach staff
- Experience of representation, including Cluster coordination, and ability to represent SC effectively in external forums.
- Experience of preparing successful funding proposals for donors
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English Language
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children International’s aims, values and principles.
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in Somalia
- Specific experience of designing and managing ECW, GPE, DFID, ECHO and UNICEF projects
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Date advertised: 5 Sep 2019
Closing date: 19 Sep 2019 - 22:59 CAT
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Department: Programme, Development and Quality
Type: Fixed-term contractSchedule: Full-time